Voices In My Head

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Grave of the Fireflies

"It belongs on any list of the greatest [anti] war films ever made." - Roger Ebert, film critic.

"it is the most profoundly human animated film I've ever seen." - Ernest Rister, animation historian.

I only word close enough to describe how I feel about this movie is Beautiful. This is by far the most touching movie I have ever watched, and definitely at the top of my greatest movie list.

The story takes place towards the end of World War 2, its a bittersweet tale of the relationship between 2 orphan children Seita (清太) and his younger sister Setsuko (節子) struggling to survive the aftermath of war.

Seita
A 14-year-old boy. Seita is responsible, mature, and tough. Since his dad is away fighting in the war, he is responsible for all the jobs his father would normally take, including caring for his younger sister, Setsuko. Seita's main fault is his pride, which can cause him to make wrong decisions.


Setsuko
A 4-year old girl. Setsuko completely adores her older brother Seita. She is innocent and cheerful, and at times naïve to the terrors of war around her.
(The cutest little girl in any movie)

The movie is based almost entirely on a true story by Akiyuki Nosaka. This movie is so honest it doesn't do anything to hide the horrors of war, despite being a animated film, the protagonists aren't some super smart or super capable kids, but ordinary children who are trying to survive but eventually dies due to the overcoming odds.

Grave of the Fireflies has 2 of the most 'Real' characters in any movie, animated or not. Seita and Setsuko are so real, you'd feel as though you're watching a real life scene being played right in front of your eyes, which makes this movie such a powerful movie.

After reading through a few reviews even before watching the movie, I knew this would be a very sad movie. My sister and I did not tear throughout the movie, but my heart sank everytime I saw Seita or Setsuko suffer. I felt their pain and sorrow, and when Setsuko eventually passed away my heart just broke.

I kept thinking about the movie long after it ended. Thinking about the events, events whereby if changed Setsuko and Seita might have been able to survive. I felt as though I lost someone close to me, hoping I could have done something to change their fate. I came to the conclusion that Seita did what anyone would have done, as humans we make mistakes and the the consequences are very real.

I'm not exggarating about the movie. It's this real, and it does send a strong anti-war message discreetly yet powerfully.

This movie is so beautiful I decided to dedicate a post to it, and I will remember this movie for a lifetime.

I'll end the post with a poem I found on one of the reviews from imdb.com


I come and stand at every door.
But no one hears my silent tread.
I knock and yet remain unseen.
For I am dead, for I am dead.

I'm only seven although I died.
In Hiroshima long ago.
I'm seven now as I was then.
When children die they do not grow.

My hair was scorched by swirling flame.
My eyes grew dim, my eyes grew blind.
Death came and turned my bones to dust.
And that was scattered by the wind.

I need no fruit, I need no rice.
I need no sweet, nor even bread.
I ask for nothing for myself.
For I am dead, for I am dead.

All that I ask is that for peace.
You fight today, you fight today.
So that the children of this world.
May live and grow and laugh and play.

-- Nazim Hikmet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home