Voices In My Head

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Boleh-ness of Malaysia

The slogan 'Malaysia Boleh' has become a reality in Malaysia - a country where anything is possible.

I've been reading Malaysian news from TheStar's website and I know a little about the Bersih protest rally. Its a peaceful protest rally asking for electoral reform. In other words its a non violent gathering of people requesting for an improve election system. The Malaysian government was of course not pleased with the protest and 'measures' were taken to disperse the protesters.

What I did not know was that the information and severeness of the protest conveyed by TheStar was 'toned down' to say the least. It seems Malaysian media covered little on the protest while Al-Jazeera's in depth coverage was frowned upon by the government.

I came across the interview on mrbrown.com of Al-Jazeera with Malaysia's Information Minister - the 'eloquent' (insert heavy sarcasm here) Datuk Seri Zainuddin Maidin.

The interview was so horribly bad you have to watch it to believe it.

>http://www.youtube.com/v/A1_GQ-K7P_w&rel=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/A1_GQ-K7P_w&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

Transcript of the interview can be found on kennysia's blog to better understand the minister's words.

I was laughing my head off while reading the transcript, until I realize he's my country's information minister for goodness sake. Can't help but feel embarassed. Even parodies of Malaysian ministers done by mrbrown sounds smarter than the real deal. Truly anything is possible in Malaysia.

more information on the protest rally can be found at wikipedia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home